I can’t remember when it happened exactly, but it was sometime in the last 2 years. We fell in love with waffles again.
Part of it was we finally bought a waffle iron.
And part of it was that weekend desire to ‘treat yo-self’! Something special that doesn’t take tons of time, but not something you put down for during the week.
Store extras in a Ziplock bag in the fridge or freezer. All they need is a quick pop in the toaster to reheat. Crispy edges. Warm inside.
I love them with a little Earth Balance margarine, some fruit, and maple syrup. Mangos are 👌.
They’re also really good with a few bananas and chocolate chips.
Must Have Everyday Vegan Waffles
Additional nutritional information // fiber: 2 g • sugars: 5g • protein: 9g • vitamin a: 4% • calcium: 27% • iron: 19% • folate: 18%
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (330g)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or organic cane sugar (19g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (14g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon chia flour
- 2 1/2 cups organic soy milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl whisk soy milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron. For the Cuisinart Griddler use the 'grill' setting and set the temperature to 400F. Light will turn green when it's ready.
- While that's preheating make the batter. In a large bowl whisk flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, chia flour, and salt. Add in the liquid mixture and whisk until the dry ingredients are incorporated and no longer visible.
- *For the griddler use about 1/2 cup of batter per waffle square. Close the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes. Store in the oven or microwave until finished. Takes about 15 minutes to cook all of the batter.
*If it's your first time using your waffle iron it's good to melt a little coconut oil and brush it on the plates or use a bit of cooking spray before you pour the batter. After a few uses it's usually not necessary.
other ways to eat your new favorite vegan waffle
- waffle taco // spread your favorite nut/seed butter, add a few slices of banana, fold it
- pro-biotics // add a few spoonfuls of your favorite yogurt and top with fruit
- fruit syrups // 2-Ingredient Strawberry & 2-Ingredient Blueberry
- 🐒bread wannabe // Date Lady sauce + a few crushed pecans + sprinkle of cinnamon
- fruit bat // add 1/2 cup thinly sliced fruit to the batter
- pumpkin nut // add 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice + a few tablespoons crushed pecans or walnuts
- toasted coconut // add 1/2 cup toasted coconut to the batter
If all else fails just draw yourself a bath.
If you give this recipe a whirl, let us know. <3 Leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag a picture with #feedyourskull and @feedyourskull on Instagram!
Happy waffling!! xx