If you’ve been following along the past few days we’ve made Homemade Coconut Milk and Coconut Milk Rice.
Today I’m sharing a recipe for these crazy delicious coconut date cookies. We get to put to use some of that coconut milk and even the leftover coconut pulp!
These delicious can’t-stop-won’t-stop cookies are spiced with garam masala, a traditional Indian spice blend that means ‘warm spice’, and they are absolutely out of this world.
Drizzled with a clove glaze, the flavor combination is unique and worthy of a meditative trance.
I’ve incorporated some cookie ‘methodology’ from my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe – like using chia flour and white beans for healthy fats and extra fiber and zinc.
I’m a huge fan of dates for a natural snack and love adding them to smoothies or making date paste. This recipe uses zahidi dates—which are smaller and drier than medjool. I’ve made these cookies with soaked dates and unsoaked. I prefer unsoaked, because they plump and soften in the baking process. But both ways work.
There are also two ways to use the dough. Yes, I’ve made these several times. 😍
No. 1 – Prepare the batter, shape into a log and wrap in saran wrap. Stick in the fridge for 30 minutes to several hours. The dough warms up quickly, but you can still slice out desired cookie thickness. I ADORE their baked look. They have a flat-ish top and just look extra gorgeous for some reason.
No. 2 – Prepare them normally and use a cookie scoop or your hands to form 2 tablespoon-ish sized balls.
You can flatten them or leave them rounded. They both bake well.
Coconut Date Cookies [vegan]
- 1/2 cup of melted Earth Balance (124g) or coconut oil (88g)
- 3/4 cup white beans, mashed well (146g)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (111g)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (59g)
- 1 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour (199g)
- 2 teaspoons chia flour (5g)
- 1/2 cup coconut pulp (45g) (reserved from making homemade coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (5g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (3g)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (punjabi style) (2g)
- 10 zahidi dates, pitted & chopped - heaping 1/2 cup (72g)
- 1 tablespoon organic corn starch
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- few dashes of ground cloves (about 1/8 tsp)
- 4-5 teaspoons of coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix oil/Earth Balance, white beans, cane sugar, and coconut milk until smooth. Add in flour, chia flour, coconut pulp, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, and garam masala until everything is mixed well. Fold in the chopped dates.
- Scoop onto lined tray using 1 1/2-2 tablespoon scooper or form into a log and chill for 30 minutes to several hours before slicing into cookies.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- While the cookies are baking make the glaze. Drizzle over cooled cookies with a fork or small whisk.
The glaze hardens within 30 minutes or so.
The little bits of date are soft and chewy and a great way to use up small hard dates.
I’d love to see your food pics! If you give this recipe a whirl, let us know. <3 Leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag a picture with #feedyourskull on Instagram!