Today’s recipe for sweet and salty cinnamon popcorn +chocolate drizzle+ satisfies my inner child.
Who else has memories of devouring your favorite popcorn section from one of those aluminum barrels?
Switching between the cheddar and caramel covered. Sometimes appreciating the hybrid section.
Utilizing Earth Balance’s Sweet Cinnamon culinary spread, regular popcorn goes from boring kernels to mini bites of French toast.
No complaints here.
The caramel goodness of coconut sugar adds extra sweetness without making it too sweet.
Thanks to the air popper there aren’t any burnt pieces nor did I have to wait long before I could enjoy it.
Sweet and Salty Cinnamon Popcorn with Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels, air popped
- 1 heaping tablespoon Earth Balance Sweet Cinnamon culinary spread
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar
- salt to taste
- extra cinnamon to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Start by popping the popcorn. Set aside in an extra large bowl.
- In a small sauce pan on low or medium-low heat melt the cinnamon spread and coconut sugar - whisk well until dissolved and melted.
- Drizzle over popcorn, sprinkle with salt and cinnamon to taste. Toss well to coat.
- Spread popcorn out on wax paper lined counters or cookie sheets.
- For the chocolate, melt semi-sweet chips using the double boiler method or in a microwave at 30 second intervals. Stir well between cooking times.
- When the chips are melted empty chocolate sauce into a sandwich baggie and cut a small tip off of one of the bottom corners. Drizzle chocolate all over popcorn. Allow chocolate drizzles to harden, approximately 15-20 minutes.
If you don’t have Earth Balance, you can still make this cinnamon popcorn!
Try melting an equivalent amount of coconut oil, adding 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and sugar as in the recipe.
Benefits of air-popped popcorn
- 1 cup of popped popcorn has 4% fiber
- Lower fat, because no fat is used in the cooking
- Quick cooking process
- Saves well in a ziplock bag
Do you ever imagine how popcorn first came about or was ‘discovered’? Was there a seasonal wildfire sweeping through and it hit an unharvested crop of corn? Waking those sleeping near, they stumble from their sleep to find white covering the ground. Plot twist. It wasn’t snow.
Does anyone have a time machine?
Local peeps. The Earth Balance cinnamon culinary spread is available at the Pullman Safeway near the margarine.
What was your favorite section of the popcorn tins? xx