Happy Friday before Christmas! I have a simple and delicious savory walnut recipe for you today.
Walnuts have so many health benefits. Benefits that are important with the approaching celebrations—that can often end up as too much family time.
It’s important to take care of yourself.
The Walnut and Heart Health
According to the Circulation study, “The number of cardiac deaths is higher on Dec. 25 than on any other day of the year, second highest on Dec. 26, and third highest on Jan. 1.” [source]
Keeping stress low during this time of year can be a struggle.
Well, I have good news. Did you know walnuts are great for heart health? They contain the l-arginine amino acid that has many vascular benefits.
The Walnut and Weight Management
Choosing a few walnuts over chips can also help keep your weight down. Walnuts have a natural balance from nature of healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals which help our bodies feel satiation. If we achieve satiation we might not binge on all of the other foods around us.
The Walnut and Brain Health
In case you have to endure a lot of ignorance during gatherings and you’re pretty sure the family won’t unite over Adele’s recent Hello—it’s important to make sure your brain is functioning at capacity. You want rational thinking to prevail.
Walnuts help you do that with their natural nervous system protecting compounds like, vitamin E, omega-3s, antioxidants, folate, and melatonin.
Sounds pretty good!
This walnut recipe is fairly easy and just has a little bit of marinating time before the walnuts roast and toast in the oven.
Simple Savory Walnuts
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon each of: paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Measure walnuts into a small bowl. Next pour tamari over the walnuts and then add water until the liquid just covers everything. Marinate for 3-5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Strain liquid from the walnuts and sprinkle with seasonings. Toss to evenly coat. Spread out on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and arrange in a dish for serving.