We’re currently in Denver staying with Jeremy’s parents so on the blog there’s a mix of scheduled recipe posts and trip updates.
Yesterday I was able to take a break from our on the road granola bar breakfasts and sit down to a warm bowl of hearty oatmeal.
It turned out so nice and nourishing that I wanted to share it with you here!
We travel with medjool dates for a sweet snack that we hope deters us from skittles. Side note, it works some of the time. I also brought along apples from the WSU Orchard to have as snacks and to share with family.
See where I’m going with this? Caramel apple oatmeal.
Medjool dates are soft, sweet, and rich with healthy carbohydrates and fiber. We love them as a hiking snack and also incorporate them into other meals like a rib-sticking bowl of oatmeal.
Sweet and soft, better than any apple cinnamon instant oatmeal.
Caramel Apple Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 small medjool dates or 2 large, pitted and diced
- 1 small tart sweet apple, cored and diced
- smidge of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts or unsalted roasted peanuts
- Add oats, water, medjool dates, apple, and vanilla extract to a small saucepan on medium or medium-low heat. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cook until fluffy approximately 5-7 minutes.
I used hemp hearts which are extremely delicious and brimming with micronutrients, but try out unsalted dry roasted peanuts if you have them. 😍
Happy almost fall!