I also call these mashed potatoes for days! Who doesn’t want mashed potatoes for days?
This is an instant pot vegan recipe. BTW an Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker.
I haven’t talked a lot about it, but I do use it to cook my freezer beans, meal prep potatoes for days, and I’m just starting to experiment with other more crock pot-like recipes, because….
I gave our crock pot to Goodwill!
This guy can do it all. I’m obsessed.
Here’s the recipe that came in the manual.
Here’s my version ↓
Instant Pot Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 4 lb of red and yellow potatoes, peeled and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance (the olive oil one)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Unsweetened soy milk (add in 1/4 cup increments)
- Set the trivet in the base and load the potatoes. Add 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Lock the lid on, set to 'pressure'. Hit the steam button and use the minus key to adjust the time down to 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, blend the pine nuts and 1/2 cup water in a small blender cup. Feel free to add a few dashes of garlic and onion powder too (optional).
- Once potatoes are done, quick release the steam and carefully remove the potatoes using tongs. Place them in a large bowl and run a knife through them a few different ways to get them broken up a little.
- Add the pine nut mixture, Earth Balance margarine, salt, and soy milk. Use a potato masher or electric hand mixer to whip the potatoes adding additional soy milk as needed until you reach your desired consistency.
Oh they turned out so good! While they were cooking I prepped some CSA green beans and made a batch of Happy Herbivore’s Everyday Mushroom Gravy. I would say it was all done in around 40 minutes.
The tofu is from the Moscow Food Co-op’s hot food bar.
I intended for the pine nut water mixture to be a whole food replacement for the Earth Balance, but there were more potatoes than I was ‘expecting’, hence the additional Earth Balance. The taste was perfect though.