I’ve made a tall refreshing glass of vegetable juice, but what do I do with all that vegetable PULP?!
In the past I’ve used the leftover juice pulp to make 2 types of flax crackers. (Veggie Flax Crisps & Savory Flax Crackers)
Today I wanted to try something completely different so I made homemade vegetable broth.
The pulp consisted of kale, parsley, celery, carrot and cucumber; creating about 3-4 cups of pulp.
How to Make Vegetable Broth out of Juice Pulp
- 3-4 cups of vegetable juice pulp
- 1 medium onion, ends and skin removed, rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- salt, if desired
- Heat a couple tablespoons of water or 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan. When hot add in the pulp, onion, garlic, peppercorns, rosemary and bay leaves. Sauté for 3-4 minutes adding more water if ingredients start to stick. Once things are softened, add water - leaving 2-3 inches of space at the top.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for several hours. (This would also be a good crock pot project.) Allow to cool and store in ball jars in the refrigerator or freezer. Alternatively store in ice cube trays for easy vegetable sautéing that is oil-free.
©Feed Your Skull
What delicious ways have you incorporated juice pulp into your cooking? xo
I am new at trying this….could you recommend about How much water to use, please. Thanks
Do you strain it at the end of the cooking time, before storing? Thanks.