It has that hummus texture I love with just the right sweetness and spice to have you reaching for apples, graham crackers, celery, pita pockets, and more.
Guess what? It is delicious! Woo hoo!
and it’s super simple too.
Carrot Cake Hummus
- 1 - 15oz can drained chickpeas (or 240g freezer chickpeas - thawed)
- 1 large carrot (120 g)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- sunflower seeds, cinnamon, and raisins for garnish (optional)
- Cut the carrot in half. Steam half of it and shred the other half.
- Add the steamed carrot, chickpeas, maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla bean/extract to a food processor fitted with the s-blade. Blend until smooth.
- Empty into a small bowl and mix in shredded carrot. Garnish with raisins, cinnamon, sunflower seeds and serve with apple slices, 3" pieces of celery or graham crackers.
If you don't have a food processor, try mashing the ingredients with a large fork or potato masher.
Ways to enjoy:
- Spread over a steamed sweet potato for a protein-rich but sweet breakfast
- Enjoy in a pita pocket or lettuce wrap with chopped or thinly sliced apples
- As a dip for carrots, celery, cucumber, apple, jicama, crackers, and more
- Topping for toast
- Mix in with your morning oatmeal