You have now entered dinner heaven.
I’ve been back from Illinois for about a month and before this last week the weather was beautiful. Balmy 70 and 80 degree days with profuse sunshine.
But this last week has been mostly rainy (some peeks at the hiding blue skies and sun) and twenty degrees cooler. Until our July weather comes back (I’m hopeful for June), I’m calling comfort food!
This recipe was easy to make and houses only a few ingredients, I even use a can of Amy’s chili. This makes 2 servings and the cornbread bakes while the chili heats up.
You can even get through most of a Mad Men episode while waiting.
Cozy Vegan Chili and Cornbread in a Bowl
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh basil
- A can of vegan chili or leftover homemade chili
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease 2 - 4 cup pyrex bowls (or other oven safe bowls of similar size).
- In a small bowl mix almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and applesauce. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, corn meal, cornstarch, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix in the liquid until just incorporated and then fold in the basil and corn.
- Divide mixture into the 2 greased bowls, spreading out the mixture so it's flat. Divide chili evenly over the 2 bowls, spreading out to cover the cornbread.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F. When done, allow them to cool and enjoy!
Feel free to top with basil garnish and additional veggies. Enjoy!
Do you like sweet or savory cornbread? I like either it just depends on what I’m eating it with.