Guess what tomorrow is? Exactly one week until Revenge and Walking Dead come back from their hiatuses. Oh and also the Super Bowl! Speaking of the super bowl these corn dog muffins would be the perfect finger food treat to bring along with yesterday’s veggie dip – of course. 😉
Use your favorite vegan ‘dog’ or use baby carrots and take the less processed route. Either way they will be delicious! Serve with ketchup, mustard, grilled onions and sauerkraut.
Which reminds me, tomorrow I will share the story of my latest sauerkraut endeavors and the strange happenings that took place outside of the crock. Suspenseful, right?
I made a version of these muffins a little over a month ago but wanted another chance at perfecting them. The last batch were too salty and fell apart a little bit. Today’s batch were not too salty and stay together great but aren’t dense – even after sitting out for a few hours.
I know you will love them.
Vegan Corn Dog Muffins
- 2 tablespoons golden flax meal
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz) water
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup frozen roasted corn (or regular corn)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon Bragg apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2.5 Field Roast frankfurters or other vegan 'hot dog' OR 11 baby carrots
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray a muffin tin or use liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk golden flax meal and water. Place in the refrigerator to 'gel'.
- In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, paprika, black pepper, chili, garlic, and onion powders.
- Next add in the frozen corn, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, flax water 'gel' and almond milk. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Slice the 2.5 frankfurters into about 1 inch pieces.
- Place about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup and press a 1 inch 'hot dog' piece into the center of the muffin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information per muffin [Calories: 108 - Fat: 3 g - Fiber: 3 g - Protein: 7 g]
Baby carrots can be substituted for the faux meat! Nutritional Information per muffin [Calories: 70 - Fat: 1 g - Fiber: 3 g - Protein: 2 g]
Don’t the carrot ones look funny? Teehee.
So what’s on your schedule for tomorrow? Just anticipation for next weeks Sunday night line-up or will you be rooting for a favorite team? xo