A lot of times you feel like eating kale. So, why not just go ALL out and eat the entire bag in one sitting. By yourself. You can, in this Clean Kale Carrot Bowl.
You know you’ve done it to a bag of potato chips, so why not a bag of greens? Kale is much more forgiving and does oodles for your skin, mind and body! The entire bag contains 135 calories, 1.5g fat, 6g fiber, 9g protein, 870% Vitamin A, 570% Vitamin C, 45% Calcium, and 24% Iron. WoW!
Cook kale quickly and ‘cleanly’ by steaming it in a few tablespoons of water. Add to it a few additional veggies for sustenance as well as some aromatic ginger and garlic. It will burst with flavor which means you don’t need a heavy sauce that will just weigh it down.
Clean Kale Carrot Bowl
Add additional vegetables to suit your hunger or top over quinoa/rice. I served this with some micro greens and red cabbage apple sauerkraut.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 bag kale
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1" ginger, diced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 2 slices red onion, halved
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup wasabi almonds (optional)
- First add water and kale to a large pot covered with a lid and steam over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. Kale should reduce by half. Add the carrots and ginger, covered for another 2 minutes.
- Next add the olive oil, minced garlic, onion, and miso and toss about to cook and coat for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and empty into a bowl.
- Top with tamari, lemon juice, sesame seeds, and almonds.
Although not kale related…I’m really excited to mention I’m going to be seeing many Alfred Hitchcock movies on the big screen this next week. A local theater is running Rear Window, Psycho, North By Northwest, Vertigo, Strangers on a Train, Notorious, Rebecca, The Lady Vanishes, Marnie, and The 39 Steps. Exciting stuff!
What’s your favorite Hitchcock movie/story? I’m reserving my vote until the end because right now it would be the most well-known, Psycho. 🙂