I am very excited to host my first sponsored giveaway! Thank you OXO for this opportunity! Today thru Sunday at 11:59pm (eastern time) enter to win an OXO Salad Dressing Shaker.
If you’ve been reading reading Feed Your Skull for any length of time you might have picked up on the fact that I love kitchen gadgets! I’ve even referred to myself as a kitchen gadget whore on facebook.
All chuckles aside there are a variety of tools that make playing in the kitchen fun, fast, and easy. This shaker is one of them! Throw a few ingredients in, shake it, pour, and store.
I’m not the most original or creative when it comes to tasty and interesting salad dressings so I’ve collected a few recipes from my favorite magazines to get us inspired! Here are some of the benefits/features of the salad shaker. I love that it’s BPA free!
Realsimple Magazine – June ’12; Each recipe makes enough to top 8 side salads and will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator
- Red Wine Vinaigrette: ‘Shake’ together 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and honey, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Creamy Herb Dressing: Shake together 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, parsley, and dill), 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper *I would sub buttermilk for 1/2 cup almond milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice and sub the mayonnaise for a cashew cream (blended cashews+water) or veganaise.
- Lemon-Garlic Dressing: Shake together 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 small clove crushed garlic, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
VegNews Magazine – I forget which issue; Makes 1 cup and would be perfect over a noodle bowl along with many greens and steamed or raw veggies
- Ginger Almond Sauce: Shake together 2 tablespoons minced/grated ginger, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 teaspoons agave nectar, 1/4 cup almond butter, 4 tablespoons or less of red miso, 3 tablespoons canola oil, 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and 1/4 cup water *I would sub toasted or untoasted sesame oil for GMO canola oil and probably use less miso as it’s quite salty
- Herb-Lime: Shake together 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tsp agave nectar, dash salt/pepper, 1 tablespoon each of chopped fresh mint and chives
- Sweet and Sour: Shake together 1/4 teaspoon orange zest, 2/3 cup fresh OJ, 1 teaspoon tamari (or soy sauce), 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, 2 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Maple Mustard: 1/4 tablespoon grainy mustard, 2 tablespoons, real maple syrup, 1/3 cup fig-infused balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, and dash each of salt/pepper
- Basil Vinaigrette: Shake together 1/3 cup pesto, 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 tablespoon water
- 2:1 ratio for oil to acid/citrus
- Vinegar based dressings last 1 week in the fridge and citrus based up to 4 days
- Add spices to change up your salad theme; cajun, curry, fajita, Chinese 5 spice, etc
I’m trying out Rafflecopter for the first time, so enter and follow the instructions below. *This giveaway is only open to U.S. residents. Giveaway will end Sunday October 21, 2012 at 11:59pm eastern time. Winner will have 48 hours to contact me with their mailing information or a new winner will be drawn. Thank you for entering this giveaway! XOXO
Green Goddess – homemade…excellent!