If you’ve been reading reading Feed Your Skull for any length of time you might have picked up on the fact that I love kitchen gadgets! I’ve even referred to myself as a kitchen gadget whore on facebook.
All chuckles aside there are a variety of tools that make playing in the kitchen fun, fast, and easy. This shaker is one of them! Throw a few ingredients in, shake it, pour, and store.
I’m not the most original or creative when it comes to tasty and interesting salad dressings so I’ve collected a few recipes from my favorite magazines to get us inspired! Here are some of the benefits/features of the salad shaker. I love that it’s BPA free!
Realsimple Magazine – June ’12; Each recipe makes enough to top 8 side salads and will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator
- Red Wine Vinaigrette: ‘Shake’ together 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and honey, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Creamy Herb Dressing: Shake together 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, parsley, and dill), 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper *I would sub buttermilk for 1/2 cup almond milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice and sub the mayonnaise for a cashew cream (blended cashews+water) or veganaise.
- Lemon-Garlic Dressing: Shake together 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 small clove crushed garlic, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
VegNews Magazine – I forget which issue; Makes 1 cup and would be perfect over a noodle bowl along with many greens and steamed or raw veggies
- Ginger Almond Sauce: Shake together 2 tablespoons minced/grated ginger, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 teaspoons agave nectar, 1/4 cup almond butter, 4 tablespoons or less of red miso, 3 tablespoons canola oil, 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and 1/4 cup water *I would sub toasted or untoasted sesame oil for GMO canola oil and probably use less miso as it’s quite salty
- Herb-Lime: Shake together 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tsp agave nectar, dash salt/pepper, 1 tablespoon each of chopped fresh mint and chives
- Sweet and Sour: Shake together 1/4 teaspoon orange zest, 2/3 cup fresh OJ, 1 teaspoon tamari (or soy sauce), 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, 2 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Maple Mustard: 1/4 tablespoon grainy mustard, 2 tablespoons, real maple syrup, 1/3 cup fig-infused balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, and dash each of salt/pepper
- Basil Vinaigrette: Shake together 1/3 cup pesto, 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 tablespoon water
- 2:1 ratio for oil to acid/citrus
- Vinegar based dressings last 1 week in the fridge and citrus based up to 4 days
- Add spices to change up your salad theme; cajun, curry, fajita, Chinese 5 spice, etc
I’m trying out Rafflecopter for the first time, so enter and follow the instructions below. *This giveaway is only open to U.S. residents. Giveaway will end Sunday October 21, 2012 at 11:59pm eastern time. Winner will have 48 hours to contact me with their mailing information or a new winner will be drawn. Thank you for entering this giveaway! XOXO