Use up the last of your summer harvest in this savory mouth watering roasted eggplant and tomato salad!
This turned out to be a most delicious way to use up a garden harvest of fresh eggplant and tomatoes. I slow roasted the veggies in the oven and served it over a bed of baby lettuce mix drizzled with lemon juice. Oven ‘roasting’ really means nice and lazy low maintenance cooking. It’s always awesome when you can throw a mess of things in the oven and you with a perfectly roasted veg mash reminiscent of all things Italian.
Meet the cute mini eggplants. The smallest one is probably about 1.5″ long, for reference. I removed the stems and made 1/4″ slices with a mandoline.
I also mandolined the tomatoes and threw in some delicate whole yellow cherry tomatoes as well as grape tomatoes I had laying around.
Although these look like scary hot peppers they are – I’m pretty sure – just red and green peppers. These also went in the roast.
All of these garden delights were given to us from a friend’s garden. How appreciative and lucky am I? Very!
Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Salad
- 7-8 mini eggplants, sliced
- 10 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 cups grape/cherry tomatoes
- a couple red/green peppers, seeds removed and sliced
- 2+ garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and a little extra for the baking sheet
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F. This will fill 2 cookie sheets - I baked one at a time on 1 cookie sheet.
- Divide ingredients over 2 Ziploc bags and toss around to coat and marinate.
- Line cookie sheet(s) with tinfoil and drizzle or spray a minimal amount of olive oil to coat the tinfoil.
- Add ingredients from one Ziploc bag to to cookie sheet and spread out as evenly as possible, bake at 425F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, serve over a bed of greens.
This mix should definitely keep over a couple days and is perfect to eat alone or as a sandwich filler, lettuce wrap filler, zucchini pasta topping, salad topper, baked potato topper, or topper to any vegetable.
Yummy! We had eggplant lasagna : )
It was SO SO good! Thanks for growing and sharing such delish goodies!