I don’t know how these holidays get made up, but I’ll roll with it. I know I shared this picture yesterday but he’s just so cute!!
As I sit here and type, there is a half watermelon next to me with a spoon sticking out of it (much like the picture above). It is a most refreshing way to get your snack or meal on. Eat until your full, place some saran wrap over it and stick it in the fridge until you want some more.
The one I’m enjoying right now is from Trader Joe’s. They had a huge bin full of lovely watermelons. They also had this helpful advice for picking out a perfect watermelon.
- Look it over! You are looking for a firm, symmetrical melon free of bruises, cuts, or dents.
- Lift it up! It should be heavy for its size.
- Turn it over! There should be a creamy yellow spot where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
Great advice! Now if someone could share how to pick out cantaloupe with pretty imagery, I’d be all set.
Here are a few more ways to enjoy watermelon…
A simple watermelon smoothie. Add your watermelon to any blender and blend. Make it extra refreshing by adding herbs like cilantro and basil or even throw in a fresh lemon. Freeze the watermelon first to make it more of a slushy.
Or make a summer patch salad with summer’s ripe now fruits and vegetables. Yummy!! (This photo is from before I changed the name to Feed Your Skull)
Watermelon Chatter [source]:
- Grows on a vine-like flowering plant
- Thought to have originated in South Africa
- It takes 3x’s as many bees to pollinate seedless watermelons
- Contains 6% sugar and 92% water
- A better source of lycopene than tomatoes
- Rich in beta carotene
- A mild diuretic
- Both the rind and melon part can be juiced
I hope you enjoy these yummy ideas! Now, go grab some watermelon before the season is over. Thanks Colorado Vegan for giving me the heads-up yesterday 🙂