When I make a carrot slaw it signifies more than my love of carrots, it also usually means there is not much left in the fridge but an almost whole bag of carrots. Last night was another night where we bordered on takeout or grocery shopping. Neither won. My desire to not go outside/walk in heavy rain to the grocery store boosted my creativity when it came to scouring the pantry and fridge.
Hence, a new and almost dessert-like carrot slaw was born. Win. We ate this beside a bed of warm, comforting, creamy coconut rice and Tofurkey’s Sesame and Coconut Curry Tempeh strips. Delicious!
The tahini I used in this recipe came from Amazon is more like tahini sauce, it barely needs to be stirred and therefore easy to get out of the jar. If your tahini is thicker and more like paste, then you may need to adjust the liquid ratio in the dressing until the texture is right.
Tropical Creamy Carrot Slaw
- 6 cups shredded carrots
- 6 large medjool dates, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons organic shredded coconut
- 1 orange, segmented and chopped
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup R.W. Knudsen pineapple coconut juice (or a blend of coconut milk and fresh pineapple juice)
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix shredded carrots, orange, dates, and coconut in a large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined, pour over carrots and toss, coating everything evenly.