More than a few months ago I purchased BlendTec’s new Twister Jar. It’s smaller and cylindrical with a special lid that has 2 extended prongs that rest against the side of the container. As you run the blender you can turn the lid counter clockwise and it will help keep your ingredients moving and therefore blending – this means, no stopping and scraping or adding unnecessary liquids to your recipe.
I have loved using mine for hummus, thick dips, raw vegan cheesecakes, and now homemade nut butters! Last night I decided to make some hemp seed butter. I have my hemp seeds (these are hulled hemp seeds, also called hemp hearts) that I usually sprinkle on salads or in smoothies but wanted to try making seed butter out of it. Having never had store bought hemp seed butter, I love it and can’t imagine ever buying it!
Homemade Hemp Seed Butter
If you love hemp seeds, you will adore hemp seed butter! They are a complete protein source and very digestible, all while containing vitamins E, D, B6, B2, B1, A, and even Iron, Calcium, and fiber. Yum!
- 1 cup hemp hearts (also called hulled hemp seeds)
- salt (optional - I didn't use any)
- almond oil (optional - just a bit for covering the seed butter)
- Place hemp hearts in your BlendTec Twister Jar and manually increase the speed while turning the lid counter clockwise for 20-30 seconds.
- Store in small glass ball jar or pyrex container with lid in the refrigerator. Pour a little almond oil or hemp oil over the top if desired. Viola!
I enjoyed mine on apple rings sprinkled with cinnamon this morning, delicious!
You might be able to make this in a food processor but I haven’t tried it. Let us know your results, if you do.