The first recipe will give you a great big salad and if you have leftovers, (save some) you can use it to make this very delicious dairy-free pizza. I used Ezekiel’s sprouted grain tortillas as the crust and it turned out pretty tasty! You could even make tortilla chips out of these babies. Just bake them same as in the recipe and maybe add a little seasoning if you want.
Now onto the kale salad…
This is almost my favorite kale salad. Almost because I added in some new ingredients for this go-around. It was still really good but just different from the ‘basic’ yum that I make. The new additions were cauliflower, cucumber, Swiss chard, and tomato. I must make mention that the original kale salad was inspired by the Whole Food’s salad bar back in Wheaton Illinois. Delicious!
Mixed Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed (about 12 cups), chopped
- 2 leaves swiss chard, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon (about 2-4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 English cucumber, small chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- ground black pepper to taste
- Combine kale and chard in a large bowl with olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt; massage with hands or toss with tongs for a couple minutes until greens take on a sauteed and wilted appearance.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss everything crazy-like.
Leftover Kale Salad Pizza
- 2 Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Tortillas
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Trader Joe's pizza sauce
- 1/8 cup kal nutritional yeast
- 1/2 large portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of leftover kale salad
- Preheat oven to 350F, put tortillas on a cookie sheet and brush with olive oil, place on the middle rack and bake for 9-10 minutes. The whole tortilla should be crispy and the edges a little brown.
- When done, pull out of the oven and spread pizza sauce, sprinkle nutritional yeast, place mushrooms, and top with kale salad.
- Place back in oven for another 5 minutes. Fin!
What’s your favorite non-processed or non-white flour way to enjoy pizza? I still enjoy regular pizza from time to time but I’m trying to keep off the dairy, luckily Portland has so many great options for vegan pizzas. Check out Sizzle Pie’s list, they have enough choices that they actually split it up between vegetarian (16) and vegan (9) – it’s pretty epic.
I tried this salad tonight! Yummy! I substituted spinach for Swiss chard since it’s what was on hand. The kale from WSU’s Organic Farm (it looks like Tuscan Kale) worked beautifully. I’ve only used the Curly Kale, which has a tougher texture. Thanks too for the tip in another post on how to de-stem kale. 🤗