I’ll be honest, I didn’t like these cookies growing up. I was a thin mint sort of girl and I did not like coconut, at all. It wasn’t until 4 years ago when I was heavily influenced by my friend Stephanie and soon to be husband, Jeremy. It was that time of year and they each ordered boxes and then begrudgingly shared a few of their cookies with me. I mean how could I sit by in the midst of their oooh-ing and aaah-ing and not think I wasn’t missing out on something?
Coconut is now one of my favorite foods! I am so glad that I outgrew so many childhood food prejudices. Nuts, fish and coconut – just to name a few. I now make a conscious choice to always try new fruits and vegetables and by so, expanding my healthy horizon.
Chocolate Coconut Baked Oatmeal: A Tribute to the Samoa Cookie
- 1/8 teaspoon (bowl) and 1/2 teaspoon (oatmeal) of Nutiva extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 heaping teaspoon Navitas Naturals Cacao Powder or baking cocoa
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 2 or a 4 cup pyrex bowl with 1/8 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- First add in oats, coconut, cacao, and 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil. Stir it up.
- Next add the almond milk, vanilla, and maple syrup - mix well.
- Bake at 380F for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and serve. Enjoy!
What was your favorite Girl Scout cookie?
Omgosh it looks so good! :O Thanks so much, can’t wait to try! I never used to like coconut or Samosas back then either but then grew to like them too! And actually one time our family dog found a box of them and ate them all, haha 😛
heehee It’s devilishly good and good for you too! Isn’t it fun to look back on all the things you didn’t used to like and now do? I’m amazed at how many foods that weren’t tried until I was in my 20’s and then even the last 2 years. ::gasp::
I jus made this for breakfast this morning and it was so delish! Thank you! I was in the mood for oatmeal with chocolate and coconut and this is what came up when I googled. 🙂
Thank you for leaving a comment, I am so happy you loved it!!! <3