It’s crazy how much chia pudding looks like tapioca pudding. Am I right? I’m pretty sure I ate a lot of Tapioca pudding as a kid. I remember my Grandma made it for me. Does she remember this? It was creamy, delicious, and probably came with a hug. I have a new favorite pudding and it stars the super food, chia in this easy chia pudding.
Chia seeds are pretty awesome for only being about 1mm in size. They are smart packers and know how to fit a lot into a small space. They are brimming with hydration, fiber, and protein. A chia seed can absorb 9-12 times their weight in water making them ideal as a tapioca substitute. All that water hides in the gelatinous coating surrounding the seed creating a small pearl shape.
A one ounce serving (2.79 tablespoons) of chia seed has 4 grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber, and only 137 calories. What a great alternative to Tapioca and you don’t need the stove!
Easy Chia Pudding
An easy puddin' reminiscent of Tapioca from my childhood.
- 2-5 tablespoons chia seed depending on desired thickness
- 1 cup almond milk
- generous dash of cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add ingredients to a 16 oz jar with lid and shake it like a Polaroid picture or one of those creepy shake weights.
- After you shake it really good switch hands so you have an even workout too 😉
- Let sit for 30 minutes on the counter or overnight in the fridge, whichever works with your schedule. Enjoy!
I like mine not as thick (it's a texture thing) - if you prefer thick just increase your chia seeds by a tablespoon or so.
-Tastes great warmed in the dehydrator -Add your favorite chopped fruit -Enjoy as a breakfast, snack, or dessert -Add to your fruit smoothie