Green smoothies are the easiest and tastiest (trust me) go-to breakfasts out there. It doesn’t require creativity, but that will keep you out of the boring rut. A green smoothie is as simple as throwing fruit and greens into the blender. Once you find your sweet spot, literally, your personal balance of sweet fruit to greens – you will be perfect. When you’re first starting out, go with an extra banana, a sweet apple, or lemon – all of these will help balance out the palate. After a short time you will be craving the greens and find you’re adding 6 cups of spinach to a smoothie instead of just 1, then advancing to kale, swiss chard, and on occasion dandelion greens. Oh my!
Green Smoothie Tips:
- Bananas and Mangos (frozen or fresh) will make your smoothie seem creamy
- Lemons balance the stronger flavor of greens like kale and are also great for balancing acidity in your body
- They’re an easy-no fuss way to add lots of fiber and protein to your diet
- Add ingredients to your blender the night before, storing the canister in the fridge – then all you need to do is the 40 second+ blend in the morning
- Use Ball jars or insulated mugs to bring your smoothie to work
- Save money by buying produce in bulk at Farmer’s Markets and Costco
- Save money by buying in season produce first, then supplementing favorites when needed
- Look for discounted fruit like bananas, that are ripe and ready to go – we recently saved $0.20/lb at Fred Meyer for buying this way – if you can’t use them right away they can always be frozen
- Add spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg
Have a green smoothie today and tell me all about it below….